The World's Best Medicine. Made Better.
Since 1984, BJC Healthcare has sponsored St. Louis OASIS and the OASIS Institute, which supports the national OASIS network. One of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States, BJC serves the St. Louis, southern Illinois and mid-Missouri regions through 13 hospitals and multiple community health locations. BJC is the largest provider of charity care and community benefits and the largest employer in Missouri.
Funding from BJC Healthcare and Barnes-Jewish Hospital Foundation supports OASIS' three-pronged approach to healthy aging:
Health programs that encourage safe physical activity and health behavior change
Challenging lifelong learning programs that stimulate personal growth, like. . .
- Russian Language
- Contemporary Short Stories
- OASIS Connections computer and technology training
- Gladys Freund Barker Contemporary Issues Series
- Jazz History of St. Louis
. . . and many more
Volunteer opportunities that engage people in giving back to the community
- OASIS Intergenerational Tutoring, which has expanded to reach many more students in high-need neighborhoods within the St. Louis Public School District
- Active adults develop good lifestyle habits and combat obesity in the community through CATCH Healthy Habits
- Class Coordinators assist with program administration
- OASIS Ambassadors represent OASIS at community events
- Insurance Counselors help beneficiaries with questions on Medicare and Medicaid
- Peer facilitators reduce isolation and help seniors find social support by leading discussions in 30 senior living communities on topics like “Pay it Forward,” “That’s My Song,” “Stretching a Dime” and “The Power of Laughter”
These programs are reaching an increasing number of older adults who are underserved or economically disadvantaged. The support of BJC and BJH Foundation allows OASIS to enroll over 10,000 participants annually across 80 programming sites.