Gram always said, “If you have your health, you have everything.” Good health is the cornerstone on which to build your life’s goals and dreams. Whether your goals include a new career or a trip to an exotic locale, you will need the energy and focus that healthy eating provides.
Nothing tastes better than a meal made with fresh ingredients. Your local farmers’ market is the perfect place to find tasty produce for your next dish. Simple vegetable combinations add a delicious flavor to many recipes. Mirepoix, a mixture of chopped celery, onion and carrots and the holy trinity of Cajun cooking, a mixture of onion, celery, and bell pepper have been the classic choice of chefs for centuries.
Many know salsa as a tomato-based vegetable dish. Surprise your family with a twist on a classic and serve them Spicy Fruit Salsa (my husband Tom’s recipe). Peaches and strawberries are the base with a variety of citrus brightening the flavor profile.
There is a vast universe of taste sensations, don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations of fruits and vegetables. Remember Gram’s advice and take the first step today toward that bright, healthy future.
Spicy Fruit Salsa
2 cups diced fresh nectarines
2 cups diced fresh strawberries
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup orange juice
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Wash fresh fruit. Dice nectarines and strawberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cayenne pepper, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, balsamic vinegar and stir well. For a less spicy version, use only 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Add nectarines and strawberries to juice mixture and stir well.
- Chill for one hour. Serves approximately eight. Serve with tortilla chips.
Need to find a local farmer's market? Or know what fruits and veggies are in season? There are apps available to help you!
Seasonal and simple
- free app for locating farmer's markets in Missouri, and more fruit/veggie recipes
- app for locating the best locally grown food from over 8,700 farmers’ markets around the world
- a seasonal, local food network app