In our May blog, you read about the importance of “eating the rainbow” every day … that is, eating five different colors of fruits and vegetables per day including:
- Orange /yellow
- Blue /purple
Now that you know about the rainbow of healthy eating, here are some delicious ways to enjoy it!
- Have a smoothie!
- Pack dried and fresh fruit for a quick snack
- Have fruit for dessert
- Make a colorful fruit salad (try to include all five colors)
- Have a side salad with your meal
- Have fruits and vegetables cleaned and ready to eat in the refrigerator
- Add vegetables to pizzas and sandwiches
- Present fruits and vegetables in unique ways to children (and adults) – for example: include a low fat ranch dip for vegetables; include yogurt dip for fruits (and a sprinkle of cinnamon)
- Slice fruits and vegetables in easy to eat shapes or small cubes
- Eat apple sauce or use it as a dip
- Add fruit to your breakfast cereal
- Make a fresh fruit yogurt parfait (yogurt and fruit, maybe with a sprinkle of oats and cinnamon)
- Plant a small garden – or just one potted plant (for example: tomato, pepper, strawberry plant, etc)
- Choose fresh fruit sorbet instead of ice cream
- Freeze your favorite fruits for a refreshing snack (grapes, blueberries, strawberries, etc)
Or, get creative and come up with your own ways to eat the rainbow!
Shelby Schroeder is the coordinator for St. Louis OASIS’ CATCH Healthy Habits, an intergenerational program where volunteers age 50+ teach children about the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. In St. Louis, CATCH Healthy Habits is funded by a grant from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation. For more information, contact Shelby at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-653-4092, or visit: www.catchhealthyhabits.org