Interested in Living a Healthier Life?
Take a Living a Healthy Life class from your local OASIS
The Chronic Disease Self Management Program (CDSMP), developed by Stanford University is an interactive six-week class designed to enhance regular treatment and disease-specific education such as Better Breathers, cardiac rehabilitation or diabetes instruction. Classes are facilitated by a trained leader and peer leader.
The program is especially helpful for people with more than one chronic condition, as it gives them the skills to coordinate all the things needed to manage their health and to stay active.
Subjects covered include:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- exercises for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- appropriate use of medications
- communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- how to evaluate new treatments
Participants receive a copy of the companion book, Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions. Classes are highly interactive, where mutual support and success build the participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives.
If you are interested in taking a class or becoming a facilitator, please contact your local OASIS center.