What is Oasis?
Oasis is a national not-for-profit organization promoting healthy aging in and empowering the lives of older adults through lifelong learning, fitness and health education, and volunteer opportunities. Our national office is located in St. Louis, Missouri and we offer programs in more than 200 communities across the country through a national network of over 800 partners in 33 states. The national office operates an annual $4-$5 million budget and additionally serves select administrative needs of Oasis Centers across the country.
What is Oasis’s Relationship to the BJC HealthCare System?
After operating for many years as part of Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJH), in September 1998, The Oasis Institute incorporated as an independent Missouri nonprofit public benefit corporation. The Institute and BJH still maintain a close relationship. The organizations entered into an agreement that provides for Institute staff in St. Louis, Missouri to be employed by BJH and utilized by the Institute. That means BJC’s benefit package is Oasis’ benefit package! The Institute reimburses BJH for 100% of the associated employee salary and benefit costs. In addition to this employment arrangement, The Institute is a key strategic partner with BJC’s Community Health Improvement department (CHI), offering Oasis programs to older adults throughout BJC’s catchment area, with a particular focus on the under-served communities in the BJC footprint as a part of BJC’s overall strategy to reduce disparities in health outcomes. If you are interested in applying for this position, you will be directed to apply through the BJC HealthCare System’s (BJC) job application portal.
Oasis seeks to hire an experienced, high energy, Senior Accounting Manager to direct the daily operations of Oasis’ small but mighty Accounting Department (approximately 2.5 FTE). This position will direct and assist staff in performing financial and grant accounting and budgeting activities to support the needs of The OASIS Institute (the national office), two supporting organizations, and other OASIS Network locations. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Manages individual(s) including but not limited to: hires, trains, assigns work, manages & evaluates performance, conducts professional development plans. Ensures that the productivity and actions of that group meet/support the overall operational goals of the department as established by department and organization leadership.
- Develops and adheres to departmental staffing, revenue and/or expenses budgets; responds to changes in the organization which may affect the ability to achieve budgetary goals.
- Ensures that financial statements, balance sheet reconciliations financial models, payroll, and other ad-hoc projects and analyses are produced accurately and timely.
- Oversees and reviews the preparation of various regulatory reporting requirements, including financial audits, the Oasis Institute’s Single Audit, funder desk audits, tax and various other reporting to regulatory agencies.
- Develops and oversees integration of financial and grant accounting and budgeting policies and procedures. Prioritizes financial and grant accounting and budgeting initiatives to ensure alignment with strategic goals across the organization.
- Ensures accounting controls are sufficient and facilitates standardization and best
- Oversees and performs a wide variety of financial analyses to evaluate actual and projected financial performance, communicates financial results of operations to senior management, makes recommendations to the Director and the President on alternate strategic choices.
- Researches, evaluates, recommends selection of, and implements systems which improve efficiency of department operations.
- Serves as liaison and collaborates with leadership, budget managers and Network location staff to ensure financial statements, grant reports and other operating metrics are accurate.
- Oversees organization and maintenance of key records/documents.
- Other tasks as
- Maintains a genuine curiosity and active interest in the content area departments of Oasis and works to understand the mission-delivery context that underpins the financial aspects of our business.
- Takes accountability for own / direct reports’ performance by making tough decisions and upholds them in the face of challenges or adversity; takes all important issues, facts and data into account when making those decisions.;
- Manages time well and follows through on
- Is aware and takes action to correct poor performance of
- Uses change as an opportunity for improvement and develops creative solutions; understands basic people dynamics of change.
- Willingly adapts to new work demands and new work
- Remains focused on work priorities during times of change and maintains a positive outlook in uncertain times/stressful situations.
- Exhibits ability to learn and apply new
- Rewards/reinforces adaptive behaviors in
- Seeks and uses
- Takes and encourages appropriate risk-taking. Pursues and supports new ideas and makes them a
- Separates critical issues from inconsequential ones when problem-
- Uses a logical approach that others can follow and anticipates problems and understands issues before others do.
- Identifies and understands how various perspectives contribute to the overall result and then integrates the various perspectives.
- Articulates clearly desired outcomes of goals, projects, and assignments so others
- Manages relationships and builds
- Works through organizational
- Develops and empowers direct reports as well as network
- Builds a customer focused
- Promotes continuous
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline
- Progressively increasing experience in accounting and financial management roles
- Experience managing others
- Demonstrates understanding of Uniform Guidance in the context of federal grants and
- Experience with accounting for non-profit entities
- Expert User of Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with Financial Edge NXT
- Experience managing client response to audits
$85,000 – $95,000
Health, Dental and Life Insurance 401(k) w/ Employer match
Defined Benefit Pension Plan (vested after 5 years) Paid Vacation
Opportunity to work from home and in-office Advancement opportunities
As described above, employees of The Oasis Institute are leased from Barnes-Jewish Hospital, part of the BJC HealthCare organization. If interested in this position, please submit your resume and complete the on- line application through BJC’s on-line portal by clicking on the following link:
Senior Accounting Manager in Saint Louis, Missouri | Careers at The OASIS Institute AWS (icims.com)