In our May blog, you read about the importance of “eating the rainbow” every day … that is, eating five different colors of fruits and vegetables per day including:
- Orange /yellow
- Blue /purple
Now that you know about the rainbow of healthy eating, here are some delicious ways to enjoy it!
- Have a smoothie!
- Pack dried and fresh fruit for a quick snack
- Have fruit for dessert
- Make a colorful fruit salad (try to include all five colors)
- Have a side salad with your meal
- Have fruits and vegetables cleaned and ready to eat in the refrigerator
- Add vegetables to pizzas and sandwiches
- Present fruits and vegetables in unique ways to children (and adults) – for example: include a low fat ranch dip for vegetables; include yogurt dip for fruits (and a sprinkle of cinnamon)
- Slice fruits and vegetables in easy to eat shapes or small cubes
- Eat apple sauce or use it as a dip
- Add fruit to your breakfast cereal
- Make a fresh fruit yogurt parfait (yogurt and fruit, maybe with a sprinkle of oats and cinnamon)
- Plant a small garden – or just one potted plant (for example: tomato, pepper, strawberry plant, etc)
- Choose fresh fruit sorbet instead of ice cream
- Freeze your favorite fruits for a refreshing snack (grapes, blueberries, strawberries, etc)
Or, get creative and come up with your own ways to eat the rainbow!