We may already be two months into 2011, but there’s still time to get started on that New Year’s resolution that you may have made – to get healthier! And Oasis is here to help.
So why a focus on health? Recently we learned that Healthy People 2020, the government initiative sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services unveiled its new goals and objectives for health promotion and disease prevention.
- Increase your daily physical activity through programs like Active Start, ExerStart, Yoga, Tai Chi and Strength Training.
- Help kids (and yourself!) learn healthy eating habits and increase their physical activity by serving as a mentor with the CATCH Healthy Habits program.
- Get more connected in your community through volunteering with Oasis, whether it’s as a tutor in our Intergenerational Tutoring program, or as a mentor with CATCH Healthy Habits. Research shows that those who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer.
- Prevent or manage chronic conditions through our Living a Healthy Life program.
- Be a lifelong learner – choose from hundreds of Oasis classes in history and literature, arts and culture, computers, sciences and more.